Saturday, July 14, 2007

Commercial Reruns = Grumpy Mike

I would venture to guess that watching the Tour de France on Versus is the only way for Americans to actually watch the prestigious bike race. I love every bit of being able to watch as my favorite cyclists push themselves to the limit on a monstrous climb.

Even though I appreciate being able to watch it on TV, what good would a blog be without a bit of whining?

Although I truly appreciate the way Versus covers the event, I have a problem with what viewers have to endure every day of the tour.

COMMERCIALS!

Not just the regular type of commercials that all TV viewers are used to watching, but commercials that we just had to sit through a mere 10 minutes ago!

To help offer the end of some stages commercial free - usually mountain stages will have an hour of commercial free viewing - Versus usually really packs in the commercials as much as possible. While I can fully understand why the channel had to do that, couldn't they honestly mix the commercial selection up a bit more?

Aside from bike-related commercials and previews featuring upcoming Versus programs, too many of the same commercials are shown over and over again! :/

You remember our friend Bob? You know, the guy who sports a big grin and a happy wife? You'd certainly remember him if you watch the TdF - Bob's cheeky mug graces the commercials at least six times during the airing of each stage. Joining Bob in the wee hours of the morning are the following companies: Saab, Motel 6, Yamaha, Visa, Mobil 1, and a few other commercials that now drive me nuts.

Saab also is using a commercial that is very similar to the one they aired last year -- in case you don't know what I am talking about, here is the commercial.

OLN (now known as Versus) is apparently well known for doing stuff like this.

Regardless of what I really think about the commercials, as expected, I will continue to watch the TdF on Versus. I just hope that one day the producers will be kind enough to not irritate viewers at such an early time of the morning. ;)

No comments: